Choosing a holiday destination isn’t always easy. After all, there are so many amazing locations around the world to pick between and not enough time to see them all! Even within the US, there are all sorts of wonderful places you can go. From the bright lights of Las Vegas to the natural beauty of the Rockies, there’s a place to suit every type of traveler. One city that should definitely be on your list of destinations to visit is Miami, Florida. It has a lot to offer visitors, from gorgeous beaches and funky architecture to great food and legendary nightlife. Read on to find out more!
Reasons to visit Miami
It’s time to experience Miami’s epic nightlife. From rooftop bars with amazing views to friendly local pubs and hedonistic nightclubs packed with dancers, there’s sure to be an option that appeals to you. Food is another big draw, so make sure you visit on an empty stomach. Head to Little Havana to sample some mouthwatering Cuban cuisine like medianoche and croquetas, or take advantage of the beachside location by indulging in some fresh seafood.
Miami also has a fantastic artistic side to explore. One obvious example of this is the stunning art deco architecture that lines Ocean Drive. You’ll find pastel color palettes, bold lines and sweeping curves, plus neon lights and tropical motifs. Each building is unique, so take your time strolling through the district. There’s also plenty of art to be discovered inside, for instance at the contemporary Pérez Art Museum and The Wolfsonian. For something more unusual, check out the Wynwood Walls murals showcasing vibrant urban art.
One of the best things to do in Miami is of course to experience its beach culture. Located right on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean, the city is blessed with good weather all year round – meaning you can probably hit the beach no matter when you visit. The most famous spot is South Beach, boasting stretches of golden sand, warm and clear waters, and buzzing bars. However, if you prefer some peace and quiet as you sunbathe you can escape the crowds by heading to Crandon Park Beach instead.
What you need to know before visiting
If reading this article has convinced you that Miami is well worth a visit, here are some top tips to make your vacation as smooth as possible:
- November to March is generally the busiest and most expensive time to visit
- July to October sees scorching temperatures and hurricane season
- It’s illegal to drink alcohol on the beach (and in other public spaces) in Miami
- Lots of clubs in the city have strict dress codes, so pack appropriately
- Miami’s big name attractions are relatively spread out, but you can travel between them easily enough by driving, taking the bus, or hopping on the trolley. Just be aware that the public transportation systems can be tricky to navigate
- Avoid bringing valuables to the beach
- If you’re staying for a long time, consider making a day trip to Orlando, the Everglades National Park, Florida Keys or Biscayne National Park